Monday, July 13, 2009

Smiles

Part of me thought I should just publish these pictures on their own and not spoil them by writing about them. But the other half of me won, so you get to hear a little from me. This little boy and his Mom are so special. If i can, I will get her permission to share their story at a later time. But for now, you can met them by their smiles. When the photographer came to take pictures, she explained what they might be used for. That the nurses like to send pictures home to their friends and families to show them a little of what they're doing over here in Africa. She was very excited to be a part of it. Her little son wasn't (though you wouldn't be able to tell from his smiles). He was more interested in playing with one of his favourite toys on the ward, my glasses. Whenever I walk onto the ward his eyes light up and he runs full force into my legs begging to be picked up so he can reach them. He's so clever. If I say no, he'll find someone else close by and try to reach them from his newly achieved height. If the glasses are off limits, there is always another favourite toy, my room key. He knows I keep it in my pocket, right where he can find it. I'll walk around with him on one hip while he plays with my key, and take vital signs. I'm sure the ladies wonder why I wouldn't just tie him on my back like they do, but i haven't mastered that skill yet.
I think i have the best job on the ship, and i'm not afraid to say so. I have so much fun on the wards. Recently, as the VVF block has finished, there have been more and more kids on the ward. Some are patients, others are the children of patients. Regardless, they all love to play.

1 comment:

  1. You're writing beautiful things here, Adrienne! May God bless and prosper your continuing efforts!

    ReplyDelete