Friday, June 5, 2009

"Drivers, please look under your vehicles for sleeping patients before departing"


...Definitely not your typical daily reminder! A few other funny things from my week that only my fellow nurses could appreciate are denture cups as specimen containers and making makeshift outhouses from little wooden kids chairs,wash basins and magnetic curtains. Needless to say, the request for commodes went out this week. The walls and ceilings are all magnetic on the ship. So, when curtains are needed for privacy, we have magnetic hooks that hold curtains to the ceiling. I think i tripped on them at least 5 times today, making the ladies burst into laughter. I'm sure it was a combination of the ship moving and my regular clumsiness. I try to console the patients who are learning to use crutches on the ship that if they succeed learning on a ship, they should win a prize (in the very least they get a pat on the back and a big cheer!)

My Dad arrived on the ship last Friday, and I've really enjoyed having him around! As my Mom wrote in an email, "half of my family is in Africa!" Experiences like these are hard to express on returning home. It means so much to know that one of my family members (other than Giles of course), will know first hand what Mercy Ships is like!

No comments:

Post a Comment