Monday, June 29, 2009

Ordinary Days


I must stress the fact that we do have ordinary days here. Those kind of days where there are no earth shattering epiphanies, no tear jerking stories, or deep thought provoking moments. Some days are just ordinary. Here, i was forced to pose for a photo that is now posted on the wall down in the hospital. There is a world map glued to the wall, the ward nurse's faces and names are a-fixed to their countries (or close by).

I thought I'd share a few glimpses into the day by day happenings here on the ship. I can't do too many as it takes forever for them to load, but here are a few of my favourites!
This is Giles' special friend, though he does have many.

Here Dad and I are sitting on deck 8, watching the fishermen come in for the day. This is a gloriously windy corner with shade for Dad. It is perhaps my favourite place on the ship.




Giles has found a local orphanage recently, and is helping coordinate the building of new bunk beds for the kids. He was dropped off here one Sunday afternoon while i was working, and played soccer for hours. This set of twin boys are his newest Benoinese friends!

These are some of the fabulous nurses i work with. I have no idea how many countries are represented in this picture alone, but i know each one of them is passionate about helping their patients and are terrific at their jobs. There couldn't be a better lot of them!

Giles plays soccer every Monday & Wednesday evening. They've joined a league here in Benin starting last weekend, and they even won!!!

There you have it, a glimpse into our lives. I spent the afternoon walking through the markets searching for fabric to have an African dress made, and I am frankly too tired to write anything more !!!

1 comment:

  1. Awwww Great pictures you guys! They really captivate the emotion of your time in Africa. Adrienne, I cannot read anymore of your blogs, they ALWAY make me teary... you will have to write a book some day. I am so happy you could share such an amazing dream come true with your dad! You two are so close and this will only make you closer.
    Wishing you guys were home! We miss you so much! This summer is just not the same. But hopefully we'll get some time to chat!
    Take care and God bless you guys.
    Oh and by the way Giles!!! Miss you too!!! Glad to see you are making yourself right at home with the kids and soccer. Just don't get too comfortable... we want you to come home for a bit okay?!?!?!
    Love you both!
    Love, Mackenzie, Karl, & Owen!!!!!

    ReplyDelete