Friday, June 26, 2009

Gratitude


Dad is on his way home now. I had the day off today, and decided i would tag along with him. I spent the morning in the OR while he finished his last two cases. After lunch, we headed off to a local hospital called Bethesda which will be a story for another day.

I wish I could describe the feelings I had as various people said goodbye to him throughout the day. Pride was definitely one of them. Joy was another, as well as a strange and surprising peace. My Dad spent 4 weeks working with me as I fulfilled my dream of working on a Mercy Ship. And did he work! He worked long hours here, serving the children of West Africa. How many people can say their parent participated alongside them as they fulfilled a dream? I venture to say not many. I will never forget these four weeks, and will treasure them always. I know they were as meaningful to him as they were to me in ways that words cannot express.

Farewell Dad, and have a safe journey home. See you in 5 weeks. I'm so proud you're my Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment